While suffering from insomnia last night, I came across this interesting article, where Haruki Murakami shares his writing routine:
“When I’m in writing mode for a novel, I get up at 4:00 am and work for five to six hours. In the afternoon, I run for 10km or swim for 1500m (or do both), then I read a bit and listen to some music. I go to bed at 9:00 pm. I keep to this routine every day without variation. The repetition itself becomes the important thing; it’s a form of mesmerism. I mesmerize myself to reach a deeper state of mind.”
OMG! All of a sudden I feel very lazy! 😛 Run 10km or swim 1.5km or BOTH??? WTF???!!
Does shoveling the snow for 45 minutes count?
Contrast this to Alice’s writing routine (actually non-existent at this point…2nd novel is still a ravelment of hazy images…):
– Work 9am – 5pm at day job
– Exercise 45 mins to an hour daily
– Write evenings 8pm – 10pm when not watching TV or going to rehearsal
– Read daily 30 mins to 1 hour
– Weekends: Maybe write in afternoons 4pm – 6pm, if not, evenings again 7pm-10pm writing
– Bedtime 12am…
Getting up at 4am to write? Not a prayer.